- Just as each of us has a different skin and hair color, we also differ in the color of the teeth we have. Nevertheless, all teeth darken with age or acquire discoloration. There are many reasons behind superficial discoloration and darkening of teeth such as:
- using tobacco, drinking coffee, tea, cola or red wine, as well as eating foods containing dyes (e.g. black berries, cherries),
- accumulation of deposits of bacterial plaque and tartar,
- taking too much fluoride during the formation of teeth, which makes the teeth appear mottled,
- the natural aging process,
- tooth injury,
- endodontic (root canal) treatment,
- taking antibiotics (tetracycline) during childhood.